Register now for 2020 public courses in Brussels & London and elsewhere, and now also online, via Eventbrite.
Participatory planning for short-term projects and events (1 day)
“Martin is a very inspiring trainer, he is very skilled and knows how to facilitate facilitators in a structured and insightful way. I have been able to succesfully use his personal advice and facilitation techniques straight away!”
Miriam Elst, Facilitator Design Thinking and LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®, Lead UX researcher & strategist, Service designer
Who this course is for
This course is suitable for all those who want to be able to involve people more effectively in planning and implementing short to medium term projects together, including team leaders and project managers within organisations, those working collaboratively with partners and external stakeholders, youth and community workers and independent facilitators.
The course has no pre-requisite, but Group Facilitation Methods or some prior experience of facilitation or participatory planning is recommended.
Questions this course answers
“How can I get all members of a group to participate in planning a project or event together, and build their commitment and responsibility so that they can successfully implement their plan?”
This course introduces a structured, participatory process to enable the successful implementation of a group project or event. The ToP Action Planning method uses the ToP Focused Conversation and Consensus Workshop covered in Group Facilitation Methods to engage all members of a group effectively, and so it builds commitment and ownership at all stages. The method is suitable for planning short to medium-term projects, or completing projects that have stalled.
What you will gain
By the end of the course you will have
- understood the 8 stages of the Action Planning method, the role of each, and their flow
- understood where to use the method, and gained confidence in your ability to use it in your own situation
- consolidated and developed your understanding of the basic Focused Conversation and Consensus Workshop methods
- built links with others to promote future collaboration and support in the use of the methods
The Action Planning method is an 8-stage process:
- Context – reviewing the background and outlining the process
- Victory – focusing the group by visualising the successfully completed task
- Current Reality – analysing the situation to align the group’s resources with its task
- Commitment – defining and articulating exactly what the group aims to accomplish
- Key actions – identifying key implementation steps and forming teams or task forces
- Calendar – building an action timeline
- Assignments – agreeing leadership, co-ordination and follow-through roles
- Resolve – affirming and celebrating the group’s plan
The course presents the method in a practical and participatory way. The method is first demonstrated, using a scenario with which participants can identify without having to role-play. It is then analysed and discussed, and then elements of the method are practiced individually or in small groups. Finally, participants plan how they will apply the method in their own situations.
What do participants say about this course?
87% of AP participants rated this course 8/10 or higher. Comments from participants’ end-of-course evaluations included:
- gives you a structured and effective method for action planning, in a relaxed and enjoyable training environment
- an interactive and fun way to involve everyone on your team in the planning process
- a very useful course for planning short-term projects or events
- rewarding and insightful, it will demonstrate to you how you can get things done – and it is a great experience and a great environment
- brilliant – the best training course I’ve ever been on
For in-house and tailored training, see ToP facilitation training at your place – and free places for you! and please contact me. Please do not delay before contacting me – the earlier I hear from you, the more chance that I will be able to help and the more helpful I may be able to be.
Return to ToP facilitation training, including other regularly scheduled courses in London & Brussels and elsewhere, and now also online.