In the session, Facilitating positive transformation: Reviewing the past to prepare for the future, I demonstrated a participatory approach for a group to review the past, to prepare for the future, by applying the ToP (Technology of Participation) Historical Scan method to reflect together on the unfolding history of participation and facilitation in India and beyond. I also shared some insights into the theory behind the method, and examples of the method in action. Participants had a brief opportunity to reflect on how they might apply the method.
Here I am sharing links to some resources and case studies that I mentioned during the session, and some that I didn’t, plus (below) some some tweets from the session.
ToP Historical Scan method
- #IAFIndia17 session slides – pdf
- ToP Historical Scan (‘Wall of Wonder’) overview – IAF Europe Method of the Month, May 2007 (pdf)
- The Art of Focused Conversation – book
- Four steps to a universal principle of facilitation and learning – blog post
- Is there a single, universal principle of facilitation? – free facilitation webinar
Examples of the method in action
- Adapt • Invent • Evolve: reviewing the past to prepare for the future at the IABC EMENA 2017 conference in London, #EuroComm17 – blog post
- Celebrating 20 years with the European Training Foundation in Turin – #ETF20 – case study
- Transformational Strategy: from trepidation to ‘unlocked’ with IDMC in Geneva – case study
- Staff Away Day with George House Trust in Manchester – case study
- Clinical Leadership Evaluation and Development with Manchester Primary Care Trust – case study
- How has facilitation developed over time, and where might it be heading? A six-month collaborative process to develop our collective story of facilitation, as IAF celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2014 – blog post, plus #FacHistory on twitter and storify
- Reviewing the past to prepare for the future: #FacHistory at the IAF EMENA 2014 conference in Copenhagen, #IAFEMENA14 – blog post
- Reflections on the history of professional process facilitation, an article by Richard Chapman published by IAF Europe & AMED in 2011 – pdf
- The past, present & future of the facilitation profession: Reviewing the past to prepare for the future at the IAF Europe 2007 conference in Edinburgh – (pdf)
ToP facilitation training & sticky walls
- Join me for ToP facilitation training in Brussels & London (2018 dates to be scheduled soon) – blog
- Join ICA India or other ICAs worldwide for ToP facilitation training near you
- Sticky walls are available from ICA:UK and other ICAs, and in India from BangOn Facilitation.